If you like what you’ve read on the blog and you actually want to know a little bit about me, you’ve come to the right place. Instead of writing a biography that will take you forever to get through, I’m going to summarize some stuff about me in neat little bullet points.
I update this periodically, when I’m bored.
- I was born November 5, 1977 at Memorial City hospital in Houston.
- I lived in Alvin, TX (home of Nolan Ryan and not much else) until I was 5, when we moved to Katy. That’s where I’ve lived ever since.
- I went to a private school run by my church until 5th grade. From then on, it was public school all the way.
- I graduated from Katy High School. I played trumpet, tuba, trombone and french horn in the band. I pitched for the baseball team until I grew tired of physical training. It’s one of my life’s great regrets that I didn’t continue pitching due to laziness, because I was a good pitcher from a young age and probably could have at least made it to the minor leagues.
- I joined the Army in 2003 as a combat medic. I attended basic training at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, and did my medical training at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. During basic training, I ran 2 miles in 12 minutes and 20 seconds, did 93 pushups in 2 minutes and 103 situps in 2 minutes. I will never be in this kind of shape again, for the rest of my life.
- I deployed to Iraq in the summer of 2003 with Alpha Troop of the 1st Squadron, 10th United States Cavalry. I spent time in Balad Ruz, but the majority of my time was spent in Tikrit.
- I got out of the Army in January of 2007.
- I started working at a hospital when I got home, but decided I’d had enough of sick/ill/wounded/dying people, so I quit. I started working for a marketing firm in Houston and I’ve been there ever since.
- I moved to Las Vegas in January 2011 to take a job full-time as a mixed martial arts journalist.
- I lived there for a year. Then I moved back home.
- I signed with Bleacher Report in 2012 as a lead mixed martial arts writer. I have also served as the combat sports writer for the Houston Chronicle since 2009.
- I moved back to Vegas in the fall of 2013. I still live here today with my dog Belle, who is part chihuaha and part toy fox terrier.
- In 2015, I joined the PokerNews.com team as the lifestyle editor. My section was spun off into its own site in late 2015. It’s called StayStacked.com, and I write about pop culture, tech, gadgets, movies and a lot of other things.